Guinea pigs, also referred to as cavies, are friendly and pets that are inquisitive. Nonetheless, they want dedication and attention that is regular ensure they remain healthy and pleased. Keep reading to learn how exactly to take care of your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, can be tamed, and will live for approximately 10 years. Their friendly nature means they are great pets. They’re also extremely smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. But, should you keep women and men together, be sure both pets will be the sex that is same at minimum one sex happens to be desexed.
RSPCA NSW will not suggest maintaining guinea pigs and rabbits together. Rabbits can give conditions to guinea pigs, in addition they might bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them healthier and delighted, they require:
- a consistent way to obtain top quality fresh lawn or lawn hay, such as for instance Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for wearing straight straight down their teeth that are continuously growing.
- fresh, leafy vegetables and natural herbs each and every day, such as for instance broccoli, cabbage (in a small amount), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and dark-leafed lettuce varieties; and natural herbs such as for instance basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should simply be provided as a periodic treat.
- little degrees of high-quality guinea pig pellets. These need to have the very least content that is fibre of %.
- a regular way to obtain supplement C, such as for example lower amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a consistent supply of clean, fresh water
Usually do not feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard shrubs
- lily associated with valley
- onion lawn
- potato tops
- raw ukrainian dating sites beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require plenty of area to work out – the more the greater. She should work out each and every day in a sizable, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made of untreated timber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned boxes to disguise in.
Regular grooming is really important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay static in good shape. Regular control will help build her also confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
It’s also advisable to check out the duration of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are a long time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding techniques helps avoid many typical health issues, including breathing infections and epidermis issues.
It is crucial to pay for your guinea pig’s hutch with a flyscreen. Carrying this out, along with maintaining her hutch clean, may help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are specially prone to this disorder, which may be fatal.
Guinea pigs, like the majority of animals, may also be at risk of fleas. Confer with your veterinarian about a proper flea therapy if required. They could additionally suffer with mite infestations, that may cause disquiet, locks loss and itchiness.
This could be a sign of the fungal disease ringworm, so seek help from a veterinarian immediately if your guinea pig develops bald batches.
To learn more about typical health issues, view here.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure ought to be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. When you yourself have two guinea pigs, they are going to require twice this room. They’re going to likewise require unique, separate resting areas, which should be covered. You need to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, as this may help lower the threat of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and soft lawn hay to give padding and avoid foot injuries. don’t use sawdust, straw or lumber shavings. Understand that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry area all of the time, or she can quickly develop base dilemmas. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly along with her bedding whenever required – often as soon as per day.
Maintain the hutch in a sheltered area which can be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from sunlight and strong winds. She must always get access to sufficient color.
Click the link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.